ProTech Metal Anodizing works extensively throughout the marine industry offering large scale loads, or large quantities of small parts. Since anodized aluminum is non-corrosive, light weight, cost effective and provides strength, it truly is the perfect metal to use for marine applications. It replaces more expensive and corrosive metals such as stainless steel or chrome. Even though untreated aluminum has a high natural resistance to corrosion compared to many other metals, the constant exposure to water and moisture in marine environments will also corrode the metal over time. Therefore, anodizing aluminum for marine applications is a must.
The Benefits of Anodized Aluminum for Marine Applications:
- Superior corrosion resistance
- Lightweight with a high strength-to-weight ratio
- Compatibility with a variety of fabrication processes
- Wide availability in sheets, extrusions, and plates
Examples of aluminum marine hardware and components that can benefit from anodized aluminum include:
- Ship Building
- Off Shore Drilling Platforms
- High performance hydraulic controls
- Boat Hardware
- Fuel Tanks
- Deck Hardware
- Dock Hardware
- Exhaust Manifolds
While anodized aluminum can withstand the harsh conditions of salt water environments, it is not completely infallible. Salt water is extremely corrosive and the smallest scratch will allow salt water to permeate the anodized layer which can cause corrosion damage. Thus, anodized aluminum does require some care in these harsh environments.
- Always rinse off any salt water after use
- Clean only with non-abrasive and neutral detergents
- Avoid scratching the coating as this opens a pathway for corrosion (Note – Anodized coatings are scratch resistant but not scratch proof)
- If corrosion does begin, get it repaired before any major damage is done. Anodizing can easily be re-done.
Contact us today to spec your needs or quote your job! Call (260) 894-4011 or click here to fill out our online form.